Sunday, April 27, 2008

The "Be" Aptitudes

It was suggested that Family Home Evenings could be centered on President Hinckley's "Six Bes." Such a suggestion I think admirable. I would like to suggest a few things concerning the first of these "Be"s. But before so doing I thought that the "Beautiful" attitudes, the beattitudes, that the Savior gave us could be quite a map to President Hinckley's "Be"s. Thus I'm calling them the "Be-aptitudes."

Be Grateful to the Lord for hia "marvelous Church," President Hinckley says. "Thank Him for your friends and loved ones, for parents and brothers and sisters, for family." We're told how the Lord wants us to regognize his hand in all things, not because he wants recognition, but he wants us to realize how great his blessings are to each and everyone of us. The old Protestant hymn, "Count Your Many Blessings," has merit upon maybe making us feel better when the world is against us. But I think it is to help us to remember how merciful the Lord has been to us. The spirit of humility can help us fulfill our covenants to their fullest.

"Work on it," President Hinckley says. "You will find it will yield wonderful results."

1 comment:

  1. How awesome! We need a focus, or as President Monson put it "An attitude of gratitude"

    -Erc

    ReplyDelete