Sunday, February 03, 2008

George Washington Slept Here

Well here it is the end of another play. We opened January 11, somewhat postponed from the originally scheduled September 19. The Richland Players Theater was closed for remodeling, which persisted beyond expectations, and we were postponed. Our schedule began opposite the College's opening of Hamlet, and Academy of Children's Theater Production of Peter Pan. Our first night was about three-fourths of the auditorium full, unusual for the opening night. But Saturday, the next Friday, and the next Saturday were all sold out. Sunday matinee was also a sell-out as well as the closing weekend. But weather conditions decreased actual attendance on the matinee and the final Saturday performance. The biggest surprise to me was the ability I had to memorize all the dialogue I had. I shared the lead with a female playing, naturally, my wife. My character was an excited character that wanted to leave the city life of NY to live in a house in Pennsylvania that rumored to be a place that George Washington had slept, while the female lead was less excited. (One line from the play: "Angry? I Could spit all the way to Arlington.") A film in 1940 starred Jack Benny, which I was watching once with Jared. He asked me which part I played, some I should think would assume the Jack Benny part. Unfortunately the roles are reversed from the play and my answer to Jared had to be, "Hers." My female lead had a lot of dialogue to memorize, too. And both of us aren't young, either. I reflected how memorizing all the lines from God's Favorite was easier when I was 13 years younger, and I also had an assistant to help me go over lines when we were less busy, and the four hour trip to Othello each weekend. Anyway, it happened, unfortunately without 100% perfection. The dialogue itself was so often almost repetitive, but not an exact repeat just a close one. But I will admit, the completed task was fun.

A picture in the paper was printed for Friday's opening night. I was in the foreground with the female lead to my left, being angry, and three other cast members looking on. Sunday's bishopric meeting brought some discussions from our Bishop of the picture. I was recently called as an Assistant Executive Secretary, thus part of the bishopric. Our Bishop says that my purpose as an Assistant Exec is to make him look good. He is bald, but not quite as bald as I, so I think that is what he meant. But what made this Bishopric Meeting so memorable was the Bishop commenting on the picture to his family that "Bro. Carter is letting his hair down."

The review of the play wasn't technically printed in the paper. But was obtainable on the internet. (I had intentions of posting the review on the blog, alongside the picture, but am having troubles getting the picture. I will do it later if I can.)
The reviewer's biggest comments were the slowness of the first act, but aferwards the rest was worth the wait. The only comment about performances were of two supporting players who she thought shined, and that we leads could carry the play by ourselves.

One particular part in the play involved my abilities to act as if I were getting involved with a group of drinking adults. I was joined in this group by another LDS actor. Molly and Emily joined their parents to see it, and I wondered what they remembered of the play. The first scene ended with a lot of soot from an old fireplace all over my face and sitting on a chair with a broken leg that naturally crashed. I thought that is what they would remember, but, no, Emily remembers my "acting drunk while talking to the (female lead)."

Well, another memory to add to the many, which sometimes seem to be fading. I will probably be in another one, I'm just not sure when.

2 comments:

  1. Dad I love it! It sounds like you were amazing! "Carry" it by yourselves. That's huge! Way to go. I so desperately wish I could've come to see it. We're excited for the pictures. Thanks
    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited for the pictures too, will you be getting a video of the play?

    ReplyDelete