Sunday, February 03, 2008
President Hinckley" passing
I found it rather sad in one way for President Hinckley's passing, and in another way grateful for his relief. (From the separation of Marjorie, not work; I'm sure he is still at it.) I thought of many experiences I enjoyed. But one especially struck my fancy from the opening hymn we sang this morning at Jared and Becky's Ward, Benjamin's blessing. I remember referring to this situation in one of the very few letters I wrote Eric on his mission. But during the dedication of the Columbia River Temple, Our President was laying the cornerstone and afterwards stepped back into the temple, A Young Adult Choir was singing some hymn and when President Hinckley passed by to reenter the temple they started to sing, "We Ever Pray For Thee," our opening hymn this morning. President Hinckley stopped. An act that touched me. Our Prophet was letting us honor him through those young peoples harmonizing, and rather than continue and pass it off, he let us honor him. I once mentioned this to our High Priest Group Leader who was part of the planning committee for the dedication. He said that that number was not on the original schedule, but the singing of that song was added just before the ceremony. I also mentioned the situation during a Sunday School class, and one of the participants said, and I quote, "Maybe the Dude liked the song." I'm sure he does, but so much more does it mean to me that he was letting all who participated to honor "Our Prophet Dear."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember that! Well, not the event, but the letter...
ReplyDeleteI heard a story of how the choir was singing "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" and all stood to sing, including all the apostles, with the exception of Pres. Hinckley. After the song President Monson put his hand on Pres. Hinckley's knee and said, "They love you." To which he replied: "I always thought they were singing to Joseph." I just love his humility and his love for us and pray we'll continue to honor him.
-Eric
His Humility and sense of humor was always amazing. In the intro to his biography, he tells the writer that his biography is too much about him.
ReplyDeleteDuring a Priesthood leadership meeting a member of the seventy told us about a conversation they had right before his wife passed away. President hinckley and his wife had recently been to the doctor, and the doctor said he couldn't figure out what was wrong. To which President Hinkley looked at the doctor and said: "I know what is wrong... We are very very old."
He will be loved. BTW we have a good pack of FHE activities based off of Pres Hinckley's Six B's