Sunday, June 21, 2009

Movies with not much point

Some movies are really good, but afterwards when I think about them, I can't recall a funny line, a dramatic part, and action packed sequence that blew me away. It seems that I enjoyed simply because of the story telling (the acting, the directing, etc) instead of the story itself. I don't know really how to say it but maybe some examples will be a little more illustrative.

Catch me if You Can & Terminal- Yet another reason I will never be a film critic is that I have never really liked Spielberg. But these two movies, maybe show me how skillful he is. I liked these movies a lot. Though I can't recall a specific funny line in either of them, the story telling was just good and the movies were very interesting and entertaining.

Get Shorty- One of the most perfect scenes in movies happens in this movie. Travolta throws Tony Soprano down the stairs and Rene Russo gives the best glaring stare. That was probably the most action in the movie. Again this movie was just entertaining and pulled off extremely well. But afterward again I couldn't remember a specific funny line or any other thing that draws you in, just a great movie.

Gattaca- This movie was fascinating, though not terribly exciting. It was just well done, even down the extremely small performance by Tony Shalhoub. SciFi at the time was Independence Day and The Fifth Element, this movie gets you to watch without huge special effects.

Well I hope I conveyed my point. These aren;t my favorite movies, but just some movies that I enjoyed without really knowing why I liked them so much. Do you guys have any?

2 comments:

  1. I love the Terminal...and you're right, I can't think of exactly why. It's just a great character movie. I didn't like Catch Me If You Can the first time, but that may have been from the Knock Knock joke.
    I've never seen Get Shorty or Gattaca. Sorry.
    A movie that I really enjoy is What's Eating Gilbert Grape--I think it fits your description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you just have a bad memory..???

    ReplyDelete