Monday, August 10, 2009

Top Ten Missed Harry Potter Lines

Though I admit no movie will ever be the perfect rendition of a Harry Potter book because they can't put it all in . But Here are some of my favorite lines that got missed. Thought some are more like situations then the lines themselves that are quoted.

10. "Make way for the heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through..." Fred & George Weasely, Chamber of Secrets.

Though I could probably do a whole top ten list of funny things Fred & George do that are skipped by the movies, this shows them nicely. Only Fred and George can take everybody's fears and make a hilariouscomment that shows everyone's fears are ridiculous and we should laugh about it more (see below for more of this). This was the first time we get a glimpse of the two at their best in the book. Only a short passing phrase prior to a quidditch match in the movie hints at such behavior of the twins.

9. "I have absolutely no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out of course, but what a waste of time, and frankly I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing." Albus Dumbledore, OOTP

Though the movie got close, they never got at Dumbledore's laid back style of threats or the ministry's astonishment and confusion to his behavior. This book also lent "please continue to destory my things, I dare say I have too many" which gets honorable mention. And Dumbledore telling the ministry he doesn't care about them removing his merlin class as long as they don't take him off the Chocolate Frog Cards (this line was never said by Dumbledore but the story was told by Bill Weasely) gets an honorable mention as well.

8. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape, Half-Blood Prince

This is probably one of the quientessential Snape lines. Intending to embarass Harry while being riddled with sarcasm, giving Snape a way to show what he believes to be higher intelligence by describing a ghost as an imprint of a departed soul. Ron's follow-up line: "When we come face-to-face with one down a dark alley, we're going to be having a shufti to see if it's solid, aren't we, we're not going to be asking, 'Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?" gets an honorable mention

7. "Dobby hasn't slept in three weeks" Dobby, Half Blood Prince

The eagerness of Dobby is hilarious. This line and scene shows why we love Dobby and the incredible and hilarious contrast between Dobby and Kreatcher. Another great Dobby line was put into Chamber of Secrets that I love "Dobby had to Iron his hands"

6. "They'll be murdered in their beds" Molly Weasely, Half Blood Prince (in response to Fred & George's sign: "Don't worry about You-Know-Who worry about "You-Know-Poo")

Though her demands to give Charlie a "proper haircut" and Julia Walters performance in COS (going from friendly/sweet host towards Harry to Screaming/furious towards her own children) are some of the funniest and quientessential Molly Weasely moments. This line is great. Given the circumstances of the book at the time and Molly's overprotective nature. Greatly missed in the movie.

5. "Don't put your wand there, boy! What if it ignited? Better wizards than you have lost buttocks, you know!" "Who d'you know who's lost a buttock?" Mad Eye Moody & Tonks, OOTP

Moody's paranoia, Tonks bluntness, perfect, the whole scene was changed from funny to a little too serious. Tonk's later question about asking if someone really is going to get killed was missed as well. Tonks was never the same after this book either.

4. "Let me guess which one of you are going to die this year" Minerva McGonagal, POA

The whole Trelawny/McGongal rivalry is never explored, which I think wastes the talent of Maggie Smith.

3. ."--yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often. Best to say nothing at all, my dear man." "I would assume that you were going to offer me refreshment, but the evidence so far suggests that that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness." Albus Dumbledore Half-Blood Prince

This whole scene got robbed out of the movie. The two lines I believe show and make Dumbledore in the books. This scene could have been the funniest and give very talented actors the stuff to show what they can.

2. "Enjoying it? I don't reckon he'd come home if Dad didn't make him. He's obsessed. Just don't get him onto the subject of his boss. According to Mr Crouch ... as I was saying to Mr Crouch ... Mr Crouch is of the opinion ... Mr Crouch was telling me ... They'll be announcing their engagement any day now." Ron Weasley, Goblet of Fire

In GOF Harry and Ron don't talk to eachother for awhile, during this period Harry states that there is a lot less laughing when he only hangs out with hermione in the library. These lines show that Ron can be funny, not just doing things that make people laugh at him (like wearing ugly robes, force himself to eat slugs, etc). He actually has great chops. His and Harry's predictions of their deaths for Prof Trelawny get Honorable mention.

1. "Molly's Making Meatballs" Arther Weasely OOTP

I don't know why but this line just makes me laugh, always has always will.

Supplemental list- Lines that shouldn't be missed in Final Movies
1. "So... How's the baby" Fleur Delacour. Fleur uses this line to break the awkward silence that is caused when Percy joins the final battle. Lupin's ad-libbing at that point deserves kudos as well.
2. "I could do it now, or would you like some time to compose an epitaph" Severus Snape. Won't explain do to spoilers.
3. "Well, I don't know how to break this to you, but I think they might have noticed we broke into Gringotts." Ron
4. “For instance, this new idea that You-Know-Who can kill with a single glance from his eyes. That’s a basilisk, listeners. One simple test: Check whether the thing that’s glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it’s safe to look into its eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that’s still likely to be the last thing you ever do.” Fred
5. "Pathetic! With the whole world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey?""Ah well, you'll be able to tell us apart now, anyway, mum." George ("I can't ear you" gets honorable mention")
6. "The sooner this wedding's over the happier I'll be." Ron "Yeah, then we'll have nothing to do except find Horcruxes....It'll be like a holiday, won't it?" Harry

1 comment: