Friday, October 16, 2009

Memories of Halloween Past

Seeing ads for Haunted Houses etc reminds me of a haunted house we tried taking the kids to a couple of years ago. Three years ago, while awaiting to start in the AF I was working at USD. My job required me to work with a number of undergraduate students, who included sorority and fraternity students.

There was an advertisement for a sorority/fraternity Hauted House and Halloween Carnival in the college paper. The paper said that the hauted house portion of the event was "family friendly" from 4 to 6. At 6 it was supposed to go full board. So I asked my co-workers what kind of family friendly because at the time the kids were 2, 4, 6 and 8. She said that it would be ok for them. So we go...

We walked in and the bottum floor was decorated fine and we went to go to the haunted part. Zach and Kayla were really scared (Jen stayed with Brayden). The Sorority girls and their male counterparts were yelling up the stairs: "Really really little kids coming TONE IT DOWN." Well Zach and Kayla were too scared to go up but Tyler still wanted to go. One of the Sorority sisters offered to take him, and he said he wanted too. So why not...how bad can it be?

They went up, Kayla, Zach, & I played the carnival games (they got spoiled with candy rewards). Soon, Tyler and his excort came to the carnival. She said he only wanted to see two of the six upstair rooms and decided to not try going to the basement at all. He played the games and all of us left.

On the way home Jen and I asked Tyler what he thought. He thought it was fun. So I asked what the first room was like. He said it was evil clowns singing twinkle twinkle little star "but in a slow evil way" (his words not ours. ) This seemed to not phase him though Jen and I were a little worried, not to mention wondering what psychology bills would cost after that. Hoping maybe it would get better, I asked about the second room. His response: "There was a guy...torturing a girl."

Needless to say, next time maybe not the best to trust a sorority girls or frat boys on what a family friendly haunted house would be.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. A haunted house run by frat boys wouldn't exacly be kid friendly. But if you want one that is I suggest you check out my blog for the one that happens for the Haunted Mansion during this time of year.

    ReplyDelete