Saturday, July 25, 2009

...Apparantely I could

And apparantely I should have. . . Ok so maybe that was a little harsh.

Let me be up front with everyone if they don't know already. But I am a fanatic Harry Potter fan. I need a support group, that's how bad I can get. And I know people will always say don't compare the books to the movie or you will be completely dissappointed.

The movie was good in parts. It was funny, interesting, etc. But overall it let me wanting a whole lot more. Not a whole lot more from the book, but a whole lot more from any movie. Towards the end it seemed as if the directed and actors were only trying to check off a check list. They skipped fun, interesting and exciting parts, to show an attack on the Burrow, that seemed more than anything to be completely pointless. Ice Age 2 was more exciting than a lot of this movie (that being said, HBP is still a much better movie).

Not the worst Potter movie (GOF), definitely not the best (Me- OOTP Jen- SS). But as a movie in general, it didn't seem to have much to it. Best things: Rupert Grint comedic skills kept it funny; Jim Broadbent's Slughorn was pitch perfect; Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy really stepped it up they should have showed a lot more of him; Death Eaters Attack the bridge at the beginning (though looking back it seems to have set a higher expectation for the rest of the movie).
XXXSpoilersXXX

Dissapointing things: I didn't think I could ever be disappointed in Alan Rickman's Severus Snape, but I was. The movie had so much greta stuff for him to do, but I feel he didn't really put enough into it (maybe because he was funner to watch when we didn't know all there is to know about Snape). I know scenes have to get cut in movies, but why add pointless scenes that do not mean anything, to simply cut out great scenes that could mean a lot more. Part of the greatness of OOTP was that the climaxes were never compromised (maybe shortened and streamlined, but never compromised). But there was no climax in this movie, it left you thinking WHAT?!?

However, since the movie, I have been re-energized with Potter fever and will probably be adding some more-Potter related posts in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for Harry! I'm excited about these future posts...AWESOME! I can't even imagine what's gonna happen. I don't know if I'd call the attack on the Burrow completely pointless, just mostly pointless. It did do a couple of things, but overall I think it was just a coverup for skipping out on the end battle scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purposely didn't read the book again before I watched it...and I liked it even though they continue to cut my favorite characters from the movies (the Dursleys) when the movie ended, I thought, that was really good. Then on my way out I started talking it over with Cynthia Gentry, another Potterphile, and I started remembering all the things they changed and left out...and started getting pissy about it.

    I wish they would've shown all the memories (i'm not sure how they are going to reconcile some of the information they left out...unless they move those memories into movie 7A) I didn't get the point of not having Harry under the invisibility cloak at the end...there's no way Harry could stop himself from attacking Bellatrix, he's proved that over and over...don't get me started on not having the battle...

    and It felt like the mostly glossed over the title of the movie and it's importance...including non-verbal spells and that whole fiasco...

    that being said, I think it was my favorite thus far, and Slughorn was better than the one in my mind.

    and by the way it's 8/8 which is why I got on...happy b-day homeslice.

    ReplyDelete