Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Best looks in Harry Potter movies

Facial expressions can give more than words. Due to the necessity of cramping a huge book into a short movie, some looks are essential to have insight (I used "incite" in my original post, I guess I am too exposed to criminal law) into the character.

Severus Snape in Sorcerors Stone- Though most of Alan Rickman's looks could be listed, during the first movie where Harry first looks at Snape and his scar hurts (Quirrel in the background) the look is priceless. Maybe outside of context not as impressive as the rest of this list, but if you watch the first movie again after knowing the finality of his character from the books. That look says so much.

Hermione Granger in Prisoner of Azkaban- "Its on the luggage Ronald!" If you have heard the audio of this book, the orator makes Hermione very whiny. Which I hated, because if you read the books she is not a whiner. This line is where I think Emma Watson became Hermione. Her annoyance and sarcasm was perfect.

Albus Dumbledoor in Prisoner of Azkaban- "Did what... Good Night" Though I understand why Gambon may want to play Dumbledoor different then the late Mr Harris. I always thought Gambon's interpretation was not right. But in this line, he includes pulls it off.

Harry, Ron, Neville, Seamus in Prisoner of Azkaban- Eating Magical Candy - Though not necessarily one exact look, but the same point. The movies haven't been able to include a lot of bonding the students go through. This scene epitomizes 13yo's.

Harry Potter in Prisoner of Azkaban- "Yeah I know who he is." The look says a lot.

Mad Eye Moody in Goblet of Fire- "You're allowed a wand" The annoyance a death eater must have felt to this kid who defeated the dark lord worried about not having a broomstick. In a movie that didn't get a lot right, this look did.

Sirius Black in Order of the Pheonix- "well" I don't actually know if he says well or well then or anything at all for that matter. But Molly Weasley is upset about what Harry is being told and scolds him and states they might as well induct him into the order. Harry responds "yes I want to fight" and Oldman leans make with an ambience of victory, pride, and "see I told you so."

Ginny Weasely in Order of the Pheonix- After Hermione states Cho couldn't keep her eyes off of Harry, Bonnie Wright says so much in a brief half second as she walks by.

Draco Malfoy in Half-Blood Prince- When he sees Katie Bell and gets the realization of what he has potentially done. Perfect!

So I am sure their are other, and others in differnt movies, but I'm on this Potter kick that will probably die down shortly. let me know if you liked any others.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that’s not surprising. Film is all about telling a story visually for the most part. But I think the best example of a look occurs at the end of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. You can’t see Darth Vader’s face behind that mask. But you can tell how disappointed he feels after seeing the Millennium Falcon jump into hyper space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Paco, you definitely nailed some of the best ones. Good work. You could probably do a whole post on Alan's Severus--which may be why I was kind of disappointed with some spots in the 6th where I thought more could have been done (felt his position was made too obvious). I love his "Obviously" and his "Then, prove it!!" from OOTP. "Chinese Fireball, ooh" is great from GOF. I really enjoyed Dumbledore in POA like you mentioned. Shaklebolt's "Dumbledore's got style" and Fudge's "He's Back!" are also incredible from OOTP. Well, maybe I've proved my point that there are quite a few looks that I enjoy in the Potter movies. Thanks Paco!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chinese Fireball, ooh - I missed it

    ReplyDelete